Charles Goodwin Farm

 

Charles Goodwin Farm
source: Elenora Noyes, daughter of Clara Goodwin Lewis

 

Jesse and Clara Goodwin Lewis (1920's - 1930's)

 

This house, located on the west side of Neck Road, was built by William and Fannie (Fales) Goodwin, the son of Simeon Goodwin, Jr., probably in the 1830's.  Their children were William Thomas, Hannah, Caleb, Augustus, Sarah, Charlotte, Constantine, and Charles Wallace Goodwin.  Simeon's parents were Simeon and Dorcas (Evans) Goodwin who came to live in Litchfield the summer of 1793.  In January of 1793, Simeon, along with Seth Gay, bought General Dearborn's interest in the mill at Purgatory and operated the saw and grist mill there.

Charles W. Goodwin, Williamís son, lived in this house with his wife Mary (Hunt) Goodwin in the late 1800's and raised their children - Ralph, Lillian, Carl, C. Ernest, Fannie, and Clara.  After their children were grown, they moved to the Daniel Wilson home at the bottom of the hill.  Clara A. (Goodwin) Lewis and her family purchased the farm from her parents and lived there for several years until Clara was appointed the Post Master in Purgatory.

The only identification of this property now is the camp road called Goodwin Drive.  During the depression and World War II the Lewis' could not keep up both the farm and the Post Office so the farm was neglected.  The property was donated to the fire department in the 1940's by Clara Lewis for training purposes in fighting house fires.  When training was finished, the house was totally demolished.  However, the property still remains with the Goodwin descendents, and they look forward to spring when they can use the road and property again.

 

Charles Goodwin's Violin

 

 

In 2005 a family from the mid-west purchased a violin for their young daughter.  The woman from whom they purchased the instrument had restored and repaired it.  Inside she found a record of a previous repair done in 1876 for "C.W. Goodwin of Litchfield, Maine".  The family contacted the Historical Society of Litchfield who put her in contact with Elenora Noyes, the granddaughter of C.W. Goodwin.  Nora remembered well her grandfather owning several violins.  C.W. Goodwin was a "jack of all trades" who was among other things an accomplished musician.

 

 

Back To Historic Homes